Monday, February 27, 2012

February 27. 2012

Hello again everyone,

This week was interesting, but not very fun at all. I know that's not what being here is about, but I didn't think that it would be this depressing constantly.
First, I'll talk about the good things that happened. We've started to get some referrals here and there and we picked up 2 new investigators this week, Dineo Muholi and Andrew. They are our Heavenly Father's children and deserve to hear the gospel. Dineo is a 14 year old girl who is in a part-member family that we came across as we were trying to visit members of the branch. She is one of the sweetest girls ever though and gives some of the best prayers I've ever heard. She's going to be baptized near the end of March. Andrew is a guy from Malawi, but I haven't asked him about the pizzia there yet. He's a black guy and is a Roman-Catholic, but he has been reading the Book of Mormon we gave him, and unlike most of the people we've taught, actually understands most of it. He's also on schedule to be baptized at the end of March.
I saw something funny too. One day we were biking, like usual, when we passed this truck stopped at a light and one of the Africans in the bed was rolling what looked to be a massive blunt. He looked up from his doobie rolling and noticed that 2 missionaries saw what he was doing, but he just smiled unashamed and continued on. The funny thing is that he was in the middle of traffic, not even really trying to hide his illegal activity. I thought it was funny.
I had my first real experience this week with a guy who wanted to Bible bash. I feel bad for going as far as I did, because there was no way that either party was going to sway the others opinions in the slightest. I actually found myself getting quite angry and my heart rate started to go up. I had to eventually just tell the guy that we needed to leave. He did know his scriptures very well, but he took certain verses to be absolute truth while completely ignoring other contradicting scriptures. He told us that the bible is perfect and that it is exactly the word of God, but if you know the Bible's history it isn't so clear. Anyway, I had to leave. I felt horrible though after I left and I'm never going to do it again.
We had my first Zone Conference this week which was pretty good, and I also went on exchanges to Alex again which was awesome. I find that I'm the happiest when I'm not in my own area. I did eat some chicken feet off the side of the road. It actually just tasted like normal chicken except that if felt like I had a miniature hand in my mouth which was hard to get over. Other than that it was good though. It did come from a pretty sketchy area though, so I hope I didn't get a parasite or anything.
After we exchanged back, I went back to my normal state of depression in Alberton. I cannot wait to leave this place. I've only been out 3 months, and the people here are already starting to kill my greenie fire. It sucks.
I did get to witness Edler Blake take a pretty crazy spill on his bike the other day though. It was raining like crazy and we were already drenched when some lady pulled out in front of Elder Blake. He slammed on his brakes and because the ground was wet, he laid over his bike and bounced his face on the pavement pretty hard. He has a pretty good scrape on his face now. The worst part about it is that the lady didn't even get out of her car or even roll down the window. She just gave a little apology through her closed window as she drove away. It was lame, but kind of funny at the same time. That pretty much describes a lot of the white south africans here.
Thank you all for the letters. I'm sorry that I don't have enough time to reply to many of them at all, but I do read and love them. I love you all and hope you have an awesome week.

Elder Balmforth

No comments:

Post a Comment