Monday, March 12, 2012

March 12. 2012

Howzit Family,
This week was a good one. Better than a lot of the weeks than I've had here. I've been feeling a lot better, and there was some funny crazy stuff that happened. As well as we picked up several very promising investigators.
First, this week we had transfer meeting and I got a new companion. His name is Elder Dalton. He's from Wyoming/California, and he's been out 6 months, the same amount of time that Elder Blake has been here. Elder Blake is in a place called Phokeng, which is a township I think. But at least he has a car now. I like Elder Dalton a lot so far. He's very optimistic, which is not like myself at all but I think it's a good thing. It would be refreshing though to have a companion like myself someday. And since he's been here we've picked up several new investigators, and potential investigators. I think the area just needed a change.
The first new investigators we picked up this week are a family named Van Dyk. They're a young Afrikaans family, and they welcomed us into their home very quickly, and seemed to understand everything that we've taught them thus far. The only potential problem is that they seem very hesitant about the Book of Mormon. It's strange, because they agreed with us that God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Yet, they seem to think that the Bible is all that there can be, and all that we need which doesn't make sense at all. People, especially Afrikaans people don't think rationally.
We also found the Masha family, but only the son, Mike, and his friend Keith seem to be interested. They both came to church on Sunday, and the branch did an awesome job of fellowshiping them and making them feel welcome. During all of the lessons they participated and were asking very inspired questions. I think the spirit was definitely there. They're coming to Mutual on Thursday, and should also be coming to church again next week and bringing friends with them. We have another appointment on Wednesday with them, pray that it goes well.
We also met several very promising potential investigators as well. We've been biking a ton though to get to all of these people and I've been beat all week. Especially because we had to get up way early to go to the temple on Friday. It was awesome, but I was battling to stay awake a lot of the time.
This week we met a guy named Phillip. And I don't think that we're ever going back to see him again. At least I hope not. He looked normal enough and had a nice normal family, but when he invited us in, it got very strange very quickly. As we spoke with him he started comparing himself to Moses. At one point he asked his wife and children to leave the room and close the door, he then stood up, arms outstretched, prayed, and began singing to us in, get ready for this.. wait for it.. "Tounges." It was one of the most rediculous things that I've ever seen. This guy was so full of crap, but he was completely serious. Elder Dalton and I just looked at each other like "is this really happening right now?" My camera was in my pocket, and I was tempted to pull it out and take a video of him, but he was crazy and I didn't want him to flip out if he opened his eyes and saw what I was doing. It was pretty hilarious though. It was way hard not to bust out laughing.
That was probably the funniest thing that happened this week. I also had the opportunity to confirm Yvonne a member of the church on Sunday which was pretty nerve racking. I felt like I did a horrible job at it, but she loved it apparently and said that she felt something very strongly even through my stuttering voice, which is amazing.
We also found and went to a Rodezio grill as a district one night which was fun.
Sorry I don't have anything more spiritual to talk about to you all. I'm in the war chapters in Alma right now, and as hard as I try to get spiritual things out of it to apply to our lives, it's pretty slow going.
I love you all though, and I promise you all that as you try to do better and better at all of the things that we're supposed to like reading and praying day to day, you will see huge changes in your life and in your capacity to love other people. I know that I've seen the very same changes in my own life since I've been here. It's hard to describe the taste of the apple until you take a bite of it yourself.
I love you all and wish you all a great week.
Elder Balmforth

This is also very much what Africa is like all over the place
Kota
(it's actually really good. Sketchy vendor, but good food)

This is Africa

Chicken feet
(I only ate one, it's like having a bony baby hand in your mouth)

Awesome window I found

No comments:

Post a Comment